Sumedha here today to share a home decor project.
I took an old baking tin which was lying in my kitchen for long and decided to upcycle it into a home décor piece. I selected the chalk paints- Tattered Lace, Pink Ballet and Misty Rose to give a shaded base to my tin. I used a floral decoupage napkin from the store and the stencil- Secret to Happiness.
2. I applied a base coat of Gesso and then 2 coats of chalk paints- Tattered lace, Pink Ballet and Misty Rose with a sponge dauber to give a shaded effect. Started with the light color and gradually blending it to a darker shade.
3. Thereafter, I separated the 3 layers of napkin. For decoupage we only need to use the top printed layer of the napkin. I used Deco magic glue to adhere my napkin to the tray and used the Embossing Paste- Warm Cinnamon and a palette knife to apply the sentiment from 4×4 inch stencil -Secret to Happiness in the middle of my baking tin.
4. Then I used metallic gold, acrylic bronze color, a border stencil and stenciled on the sides of the baking tray with the help of a stencil brush. By mistake I happen to keep my stencil brush on the edge and the dark color spilled on to the edge of my tray, so to rectify this I decided to create a wash to darken the edges of my tray. There is always a way to correct your mistakes, so never get disheartened. Just use your imagination and go with the flow!
a) To prepare a wash, take little acrylic paint – Burnt Sienna and dilute the paint with lot of water. Apply the diluted paint with a brush and remove the excess with the help of a cloth, so what remains is a darker tinge on the edge as seen below in the picture.
5. After the stenciling, I varnished my entire tray with Little Birdie Gloss Varnish.
Here is how the final project looks. Attaching some closeup shots too.
List- of Items Used
- Chalk paints– Tattered Lace , Pink Ballet and Misty Rose
- Camlin White Gesso
- 4×4 Stencils- Secret to Happiness, Border Stencil
- Deco Magic Glue and Varnish
- Decoupage Napkin- Sweet peony
- Embossing paste- Warm Cinnamon
- Metallic Gold and acrylic bronze color
I am excited to inform you that all these products come with a unique QR code!
Point your mobile phone at the QR code on the product & scan them to take you directly to our YouTube links where you can see how each of these products are used! Check out all our new products for QR codes in the future ( this will be either on the label or on cap of the bottle).