Shilpa Nagaonkar here to inspire you with a mixed media creation.
Recently, I started exploring mixed media possibilities and the more I created, the more I fell in love with it. So I picked up a 4″ MDF coaster from Itsy Bitsy for my today’s mixed media work.
Step by step tutorial:
I started with applying Little Birdie Mixed Media Paste on the coaster through the ‘Palm Flourish’ stencil to get a texture design.
2. To prep the background, I applied a thin layer of mixed media paste which can also be used as Gesso – to the whole surface. Added Vintage Cogs chipboard designs and applied the paste on them as well. Let it dry completely.
3. I adhered cogs on the round MDF using Heavy Gel. Next step is adding more texture. I applied Glass Bead Gel (which has tiny glass beads in it ) randomly on the cogs as well as on the coaster. I also sprinkled Mixed Media Stones onto it, ohh yeah!! more texture …Just love it!! After this whole surface dried, I applied clear Gesso to it.
4. Let’s bring colours to our project. I used Color splash Inks (Hot Pink, Grape Crush, Lime Splash) as my first layer. Next added archival multi surface paints ( Raspberry+ Musk Rose) and the third layer was tinted metallic paints – (Shimmering Sherbet and Lime Crush ) on the surface.
5. As a focal point of this mixed media piece I used Little Birdie’s handmade flowers. I layered them along with leaves, ephemera and gauze.
6. To highlight the texture, I applied Little Birdie metallic wax (Berry Glaze and Rich Gold)
And this mixed media home decor piece was ready for the show!
List of Supplies:
MDF Coaster Round – 4″
Stencil – Palm Flourish
Mixed Media Paste
Heavy Gel – Matte
Glass Bead Gel
Mixed Media Stone
Ephemera Embellishments – Purple Passion
Primed Chipboard – Vintage cogs
Archival Paints -Raspberry and Musk Rose
Color Splash -Hot Pink, Grape Crush, Lime Splash
Metallic Wax- Berry Glaze and Rich Gold
Pearl Pink Handmade Flowers – Paula
Handmade Flowers -Sharon Pearl Pink