Hello friends …..Hope everyone is crafting great ……
This is Vaishali here and I am glad to announce the 14th Itsy Bitsy Blog Challenge! This time the challenge is about using Little Birdie Decoupage Papers….Yes indeed one of my favourite products from Itsy Bitsy. Create any project using the recently launched Decoupage Papers which come as a set of 4 sheets in a pack.(2 Designs X 2 Sheets). It’s must to use these papers in whatever you decide to create. Share your projects with us, following the guidelines. I have a decoupage project with a pictorial tutorial to inspire you. At the same time I have shared different ideas of using the papers and their noteworthy features.
A multi- utility wall decor piece with pen holder.
The guidelines first, before I share the features and the tutorial.
ITSY BITSY CHALLENGE # 14-2018
About the challenge – All participating creations MUST include Little Birdie New Decoupage Papers ( the recently launched A4 size papers, which come as a set of 4 sheets in a pack- 2 Designs X 2 Sheets ). You can use one design or more that’s up to you. The project does not necessarily have to be a decoupage project. Use the wonderful papers in the craft of your liking, may it be mixed media, card, scrapbook layout, general craft etc. Bring in unique ideas and your own creative style. Remember the highlight has to be the papers.
Here are some guidelines to participate-
- Submission can be any project featuring Little Birdie Decoupage papers.
- Turn off word verification to enable us to leave comments.
- Entries can be submitted until June 10, 2018
- In order to submit your entry, click on the inlinkz button provided at the end of this post, add your image and link to your blog post containing the submission.
- Each participant can submit a maximum of 3 entries. Please append numbers 1, 2, 3 next to your name while submitting multiple entries.
- Please link to your post and not just your blog.
- In your blog post, create a back-link to this page.
- Only projects posted during the Challenge period are eligible. Back links or Old projects are not allowed. Please link the creations posted only after our challenge has gone live.
- Entries are welcome from all over the world. However if you are the winner, we can only ship your prize to an Indian address.
- If you don’t have a blog and want to add your creation on Facebook, please upload it on our FB group Itsy Bitsy Crafter’s Cafe with the hashtag – #itsybitsyblogchallenge14 and add the link here.
- When sharing your work via Facebook or Instagram, please make sure that your profile is PUBLIC else we will not be able to view your entry and it will be disqualified.
- Top 2 entries will be selected by the DT. Each winner will receive a voucher of Rs.500, redeemable online at www.itsybitsy.in.
- Every month we will go into a draw to pick 1 Lucky individual who Likes and Writes the MOST number of encouraging comments for Itsy Bitsy blog posts. For Challenge 14 dates are from May 9, 2018 to June 15, 2018. The lucky person will receive a gift voucher worth Rs 500, redeemable online.
- If you have not subscribed to our blog kindly subscribe with your name and e-mail id.
Features/ Highlights of the Decoupage papers-
- SIZE – The recently launched papers come in a user friendly size – A4 , a good size to work on trays, boxes, wall decors and many more objects. Good for cards and album covers as well.
- PACKAGING- The papers come in a pack of 4 sheets ( 2Designs X 2sheets). Isn’t that great …when you want to create coordinated sets like a tray, coasters and tissue box or a keepsake box with magnets and bookmarks or a coordinated set of decor pieces for a particular room! Having two sheets of the same design also helps when you are working on a bigger object that needs more than one sheet. That’s thoughtful packaging indeed.
- PRINTS- Itsy Bitsy decoupage papers come in a variety of prints. Vintage or shabby chic, Happy colours and pastels. Prints for kitchen/ dining area decor, vintage faces, birds and butterflies…. they are all there. The rare to be found prints, for masculine projects are also included. Here’s a video that will take you through all the prints.
- THICKNESS- The thickness of papers is just perfect for decoupage. The papers are 70 gsm. As a result they blend easily with the background, when adhered and also helps one to simulate painting on various surfaces. They are easy to adhere as well . Sharing few ideas, which I was able to execute as a result of appropriate thickness of papers-
Adhere on uneven surface/ undulated surface- Here I was able to adhere the paper with ease, along the corrugations of cardboard tubes to create a wonderful effect. The paper sits and turns along corrugations smoothly.
Fussy cutting- It’s easy to fussy cut elements from the papers, adhere them with good composition and create a blended look. The papers are not too thick, hence the fussy cut elements do not appear topop out from the surface.
Sanding- The overhangs of papers are easy to cut using sandpaper. This helps make circular coasters or adhere on any other surface with curved edges.
Create a 3D effect- Here, its the thickness of paper that allows one to create a 3D effect by stuffing clay under the paper. Another reason that makes this happen is that you have 2 sheets of same design . As a result you can fussy cut element from one sheet, insert clay and adhere it over the same element on another sheet with the same design. Isn’t that interesting !!!!
Here I fussy cut the birds design, stuffed clay (any good quality clay ) in the cut paper and adhered it on the surface that was decoupaged with the same design paper.
Use on curved surfaces- The appropriate thickness of paper gives the flexibility to adhere it easily on curved objects and turn it easily along the bends of any object as well.
- PRICE- The pack of 4 sheets comes for a really affordable price of Rs 75. That’s indeed pocket friendly.
- OTHER FEATURES- The papers can be punched easily, embossed and die cut. They can be used for scrapbooking, card making, mixed media, album cover and other general crafts as well apart from decoupage. You can also add crackle effect on the paper, using Little Birdie Two Step Crackle Medium.
Having shared the observed features of the lovely papers, I have a step wise pictorial tutorial of my creation using the decoupage papers –
‘Joyful Wings’. Yes each paper pack has a unique and appropriate name that goes with the design/prints of the papers. The name actually gave an expression to my creation …the birds with Joyful wings, make a cozy little home in my Joyful home decor piece. I really love the names of each paper pack !!!!
Each time , I decoupage a tray, I always think as to how else can a simple serving tray be used. This time, I have converted it to a decor piece which tells you time, date, holds a message and a bunch of keys. And of course enhances the wall space in style …..
I have used the small size pine wood tray, from the store. It has a smooth surface and is ready to use. Did not apply any layer of gesso or any other primer as I have used chalk paints.
I wanted the pine wood colour to be seen in few places after distressing. So did not apply Muted Teal chalk paint everywhere.
The candle wax resists the top coat of olive green and hence the top layer of paint (here olive green ) comes off easily along with the wax, when rubbed with sand paper. As a result the base colour (Muted Teal and pine wood in this case ) is seen creating an instant distressed look.
Tearing the paper with hand gives a natural look,which I wanted in this piece. Once the paper is ready, next step is to decoupage it.
Here I would like to mention that both Little Birdie Decoupage glue – Matte and Glossy from the store work amazingly with both decoupage papers and printed tissues. The glue is easy flowing, leaves no evident brush strokes, is non sticky after drying, leaves no residues and it enables to adhere any kind of paper without bubbles or wrinkles, with ease. I recommend every decoupage artist to give the glue a try ……you will love it !!!! and it truly comes at a reasonable price.
After having decoupaged the tray (includes applying top coat of decoupage glue matte on the paper ) I added some crackle effect in some areas using Two Step Crackle Medium and gave a 3D effect to the birds as described earlier. Also added some effects with stamping and stenciling. The top coat of decoupage glue on the paper acts as a sealant- makes it wipe able and adds archival property – which means protects the paper from yellowing with time.
The final step was to embellish the tray and make provision for the utilities.
Clock- Fitted the clock mechanism and dial, got a hole drilled for the same in advance, before starting any work on the tray.
Calendar- Used a printable monthly calendar from the internet, clipped them together. Attached them to the base of the tray with a backing of burlap sheet and embellished it further with twine and a small slice of wooden log.
Message holder- Wrapped twines around the tray handles, for hanging a scarp wooden piece with hook. Attached a wooden peg on it, to hold a message/note. Added the crackle effect on the piece of wood, using two step crackle medium and decoupaged a fussy cut butterfly.
Key holder- Attached a hook on one of the outer sides of tray, to hold a bunch of keys.
Having two sheets of same design, helped me create a coordinating pen holder….A handy product alongside the decor piece …… The decoupage paper turned easily on the circular surface and blended very well. I have added crackle effect in some areas. Also have given a base of chip board ( covered with burlap ) to the circular pine wood pen holder, from the store. This gave me space for embellishment .
Have you used the mini wooden logs from the store? These make wonderful embellishments and add a natural effect . The store has great collection of embellishments along with pretty Little Birdie flowers !!!! Have adhered all the embellishments with silicon glue.
I have varnished the entire creation using Little Birdie Decor Varnish-Matte. Varnish further seals the products and makes them weather proof. Decor varnish is a water based varnish with no odour. It is available in both matte and gloss finishes. You can use the one which suits your project. The decor varnish is easy flowing, fast drying and leaves no evident brush marks, when applied with soft, flat brush.
And this is how the decor piece adorns the wall ….
That’s the inspiration from my side to play along with the beautiful decoupage papers for the monthly blog challenge. Looking forward to fabulous creations from all you wonderful people.
All the best….
Create, Express, Enjoy !!!!